(French onion dip/California dip)
Does this flavor bring you back fond memories of the classic Lays chip – American style cream and onion? Well, now you can make the famous dip at home and pair it with anything! This classic French onion dip gets its lip smacking flavor from caramelized onions and spring onion greens! It’s a great appetizer for your summer barbecue parties and goes well with literally everything! serve it alongside some chips, crackers, pretzels, bread or crunchy veggies and your summer part is sorted! This dip will be perfect for your Fourth of July menu. Serve it on a charcuterie board with a variety of meats, fruits, cheese, crackers – The options are endless! For a lighter version feel free to use low fat sour cream and mayo for this recipe, the results are pretty much the same. So try out this recipe for your Fourth of July bash and tag me or let me know how it turns out!
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, to saute
- 1 cup Sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon sugar (to caramelize onions)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion greens or chives, finely chopped
- Saute and caramelize the onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon sugar to speed up the caramelizing process. Once the onions and the garlic have turned brown, add a splash of water to deglaze the pan. Scrape the brown bits and saute well. This elevates the flavor of the onions. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup sour cream and ½ cup mayonnaise. You can use low fat sour cream and mayo for a lighter version.
- Add the cooled caramelized onions, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ¼ cup cilantro and ¼ cup spring onion greens or chives.
- Whisk everything to combine well.
- Your Cream and onion dip is ready! Serve with your favorite potato chip, crackers, pretzels, bread or crunchy veggies!