A healthy twist to to the otherwise unhealthy pancake! Made with buckwheat and pearl millet(bajra) flour with 0% refined sugar, oil or butter , these pancakes are a great way to start the day! They leave you feeling full for longer since the grains used here have a high fiber content and tend to digest slowly while releasing glucose at a slower rate as compared to other foods.
Facts about Buckwheat – Though the name might suggest otherwise, buckwheat is not actually a form of wheat. it is actually a seed and the seeds themselves are called groats. They are suitable for people with digestive problems and are also a good source of plant protein. Buckwheat flour is ideal for baking and serves as a great addition to pancakes and waffles.
Facts about Pearl millet – Pearl millet is a great source of iron, folic acid, protein, magnesium and fiber that keeps ailments like anemia, obesity and diabetes in check. . It also helps manage diabetes and promotes weight loss. It is ideal for making flatbreads/rotis and is works as a great substitute to rice.
These Superfoods help lower cholesterol and it is advised to take them in moderation since they might cause discomfort when taken in huge quantities during summer.
Ingredients: (makes 5 large pancakes)
- Apples – 2 (peeled & cored)
- Eggs – 1
- Milk – ½ cup
- Honey – ⅓ cup
- Buckwheat flour/kuttu flour – ½ cup
- Pearl millet flour/bajra – ½ cup
- Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- In a mixing bowl, beat together 1 egg, ½ cup milk & ⅓ cup honey until combined. Grate the peeled apples finely and add them to the egg & milk mixture.
- To this wet mixture , add the dry ingredients – Buckwheat flour, pearl millet flour, cinnamon, baking soda & baking powder. Mix them until well combined. Let the batter sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. The batter will be darker when compared to other pancake batter since it contains ground whole grains.
- Heat a non-stick pan and once hot, pour in a ladle full of batter and let it cook for a minute until bubbles appear on the surface & when the edges look firm flip the pancake and cook on the other side for another minute until brown.
- Stack the pancakes on a serving plate and serve hot with peanut butter, berries or honey!