#breadmakingseries Beat morning blues with freshly baked, aromatic bagels made from scratch with my easy peasy recipe. I have made many breads before but was fascinated with the technique of bagel making in cafes and food trucks. Bagels are prepared with a high gluten flour (like bread flour) and is boiled before baking. This method of preparation gives bagels their unique flavor and chewy texture – perfect for a breakfast meal ! I smeared some cream cheese and finally topped them with sun-dried tomatoes marinated in olive oil. It was a match made in heaven! Do try out my recipe and don’t forget to tag us on instagram!
For the dough:
- Bread flour (enriched, unbleached wheat flour) OR All purpose flour (maida) – 3 cups
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Active dry yeast or rapid rise yeast – 2 ½ teaspoons
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Oil to coat
For the water bath:
- 4 cups water
- Brown sugar or honey – 1 teaspoon
- Egg wash – 1 egg + 2 tablespoons milk, whisked
- White & black Sesame seeds
- Black poppy seeds
- Nigella seeds
- Minced garlic+red chilli flakes+cheese
- Shredded cheese
- Cinnamon sugar – 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 2 tsp brown sugar
- To begin making the dough, whisk together dry yeast, sugar, flour & salt in a large bowl. Gradually add warm water and knead well for 5 minutes until it forms a smooth dough. (This is a quick method and you don’t have to activate the yeast beforehand). Transfer to a smooth board dusted with flour and knead the dough by stretching the dough and folding it in. this helps with the elasticity of the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a well oiled bowl, cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Once it doubles in size, punch out the gas and knead again for a minute.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll into smooth balls. Use your index finger to make a hole into the center of each ball of dough. Cover the prepared dough with a damp towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- As the dough is resting, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F(200 degrees C) and get the water boiling on the stovetop for the water bath in a large boiling pan.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper (butter paper)
- Once the water comes to a rolling boil, add brown sugar or honey and drop the dough into the water. Let it boil for a minute as it doubles in size and floats on top.
- Place them on the baking tray. Prepare the egg wash and gently brush it on the dough, covering the corners too.
- You can add your favorite toppings to the dough. The egg wash will help the toppings stick to the dough. Plain bagel – sprinkle coarse sea salt ; Sesame bagel : sprinkle both white and black sesame seeds; Cinnamon sugar bagel : in a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the dough; Garlic chili cheese bagel : Top the bagel with a few cloves of minced garlic, dried red chili flakes and shredded cheese. Cheese bagel: Top with a combination of cheddar cheese , Swiss cheese & pepper jack cheese for extra flavor. Poppy seed bagel: sprinkle white and black poppy seeds over the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cover the bagels with a towel and Let it cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with cream cheese and any toppings of choice!