This is one of my favorite beetroot dishes! I love the rich color of the vegetable & I try to incorporate beetroot into my cooking in many ways that I can. This recipe is so delicious that it can even make picky eaters fall in love with beetroot. There are a few beetroot recipes I have experimented with and this is one such!
- Beetroot – 2 medium-sized – peeled
- Russet potato – 1 peeled, cut & boiled
- Onions – ½ cup chopped
- Cilantro – handful (minced)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cumin powder – 1tsp
- Amchur powder – 2 tsp
- Roasted Peanuts – ¼ cup
- All purpose flour mixture – 1/2 cup flour + 5 tablespoons water (OR)
- Egg mixture – 1 egg + 1/4 cup milk
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
- Oil for pan frying – 2 tablespoons
- Grate beetroot finely and add salt to help remove the excess water. Let it sit for 15 mins. Then gently squeeze out the juice and place in a separate container. Don’t throw away the leftover beetroot juice as you can use it as a natural food coloring. (Check out my Hot & sweet chicken 65 recipe)
- Boil and mash 1 large potato and mix it along with the grated beetroot. Add chopped onions, cilantro, ginger garlic paste to the mixture.
- Next add asafoetida & spices (turmeric, cumin powder, amchur powder). Check for seasoning & add salt if necessary.
- Finally mix in the peanuts and shape into round cutlets.
- Beat 1 egg and mix in the milk. Dip the cutlet into the egg and milk mixture and roll it onto the breadcrumbs. (you can replace the eggs and milk with all purpose flour and water if you’re vegan!) Refrigerate if you think it’s too soft & might break down. (The cutlets end up soft if you haven’t squeezed out enough juice from them)
- Pan fry the cutlets using less oil on medium flame until evenly brown on all sides. Serve as a side for rice or have it as a snack with ketchup!