I love cooking with black eyed peas and this is a curry I make when I have just a few ingredients at home. I prefer cooking with dried black eyed peas than the canned ones as the latter contain added sodium. Try this simple and nutritious recipe for lunch and let us know how you like it!
- Black eyed peas – ½ cup (soaked overnight)
- Gingelly oil or vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Garlic – 2 cloves (crushed)
- Green chillies – 1 slit
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Onions – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Sambar powder or curry powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind pulp- 1 inch long
- Soak the black eyed peas in enough water overnight. Then cook the peas with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Let it splutter. Add in the finely chopped onions, asafoetida and the garlic and saute till the onions are soft. (you can add some pearl onions for extra flavor)
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender until smooth and add it to the pan along with salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder and coriander powder.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water for 5-10 minutes. Run it between the fingers and squeeze to extract the juice. Remove the pulp and add the strained juice to the pan. Strain the water from the boiled black eyed peas and add the beans to the curry.
- Let it boil for 6-10 minutes on low flame until well combined. Check for seasoning and turn off the stove and serve hot with rice and veggies.