GLUTEN-FREE AMARANTH FLOUR ROTI WITH LITE CHICKPEA CURRY:
AMARANTH/RAJGIRA ROTI :
- Amaranth flour – 2 cups
- Water – ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Cilantro – handful chopped
- Heat water in a large pan and add salt. Once it boils gently whisk in the Amaranth flour and cook the flour on low flame for about 5 mins. Turn off the stove and let it cool down. Apply a few drops of oil on the palm of your hand and knead the flour until it forms a tight dough.
- Divide the dough into small equal sized balls. Heat a skillet over medium heat and grease lightly.
- Press a small amount of dough on a Ziploc or plastic wrapper until flat. Dust the Ziploc with flour as it will be sticky. Roll out the balls of dough with a rolling pin as gently as you can without much pressure. The dough might easily break apart so don’t roll it too thin. (You can also flatten the dough with your fingertips if the dough falls apart.)
- Cook them on each side until brown spots appear. Immediately transfer the rotis to a tight casserole while hot. (Lay a paper napkin underneath so the rotis turn out soft)
- Serve with chickpea or vegetable curry.
LITE CHICKPEA CURRY:
- Chickpeas/Chana – 1 cup
- Onions – 1 finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 pureed
- Turmeric – ½ tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cayenne/Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 tbsp (preferably homemade)
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, lemon and fresh onions for garnish
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Soak the chickpeas in enough water overnight. The next day, rinse the chickpeas and pressure cook them in two cups of water for upto 4 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a deep sauce pan and add onions once hot. Saute the onions on low heat until soft. Add salt & the ground spices (turmeric, cumin, kashmiri chilli, coriander) to the onions.
- Puree 2 medium tomatoes and add to the onion mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
- Strain the chickpeas and add them to the curry. Let it boil for 5 minutes and pressure cook the chickpea curry for another 1 whistle. This time release the pressure immediately and garnish with onions, lemon & cilantro. Serve with the amaranth roti .