This is a South Indian recipe and I use four main spices (freshly ground) for all my meals – Turmeric, Kashmiri chilli powder/cayenne/paprika, coriander powder and cumin powder. Try not to use the ready made spices at the stores as they contain MSG. These four spices form the base for most of my dishes from the fish to the roasted veggies.
- Boneless chicken – 1 cup (cut into cubes)
- Onions – ½ cup finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Tomatoes – 1 medium (pureed)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a wide pan and add onions, curry leaves. Saute on very low flame till they turn fragrant. Add the four spices, salt & mix them well.
- Puree one medium tomato until smooth and add this to the pan.
- Add the chicken pieces with 2 cups water and let them cook on high flame for about 10-15 mins.
- Turn off the stove and remove the chicken pieces from the curry. Cool them and shred them using a fork(or using your fingers if it’s easier)
- Transfer the shredded chicken back to the curry, turn on the stove and mix well. Let it cook for 5 mins and turn off the stove. Finally garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with your favorite gluten-free flatbread/roti.