Healthier Mashed potatoes & crunchy roasted broccoli – no dairy, no butter. One of our favorites as I’ve seasoned the mashed potatoes with salt, pepper & fresh minced garlic. We love how incorporating minced garlic takes the potatoes up a notch & the olive oil was an ideal replacement for butter. The broccoli is also seasoned with salt & pepper & are roasted in the oven for 15 mins @380°F(190°C). I had also made some bottlegourd curry for my husband and I used that as a substitute for the high sodium brown gravy.
This just shows how simple ingredients can add sooo much flavor than the store-bought seasoning & spice blends.
Mashed potatoes :
- Large russet potatoes – 2
- Garlic – 2 large cloves, finely minced
- Salt to taste
- Ground Pepper – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Broccoli florets – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Ground Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- For the mashed potatoes: Take two large russet potatoes, peel , chop & boil them in 4 cups of water for 15 minutes until well cooked and soft to touch. Drain the liquid and Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the potatoes until mushy. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mash them again until creamy. Season with salt, pepper & finely minced garlic. Mix until well combined. Serve warm.
- For the roasted broccoli: Preheat oven to 380 degrees F(190 degree C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper(butter paper). Place the broccoli florets on the baking tray and season them with salt & pepper. If you prefer you can add a teaspoon of olive oil. Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes until well cooked and crunchy. Toss the florets halfway thoug so it cooks evenly. Serve hot with the mashed potatoes.