Would you like some Crisp, crunchy, flaky, golden & delicious Egg & vegetable puffs to enjoy in this cold weather? Wouldn’t that be bliss? California has been experiencing a cold winter storm the last week with heavy rain and even snow in many regions. I for one have been enjoying this weather and welcome any rain that hits Cali, warm and snug in my sweater and with my laptop and a piping hot treat to keep my heart content. I feel these puffs would be perfect for this weather as they’re completely homemade with puff pastry made from scratch! They are best enjoyed hot right out of the oven! Swipe to see the shots of the outcome of these puffs! And Try out my recipe with step by step instructions on my website www.sugarspicebiriyanirice.com during the weekend and let me know your outcome. Tag me or send me your photos!
- Puff pastry sheets (recipe on the blog)
- Eggs – 2 eggs, boiled & cut in half
- Boiled Vegetables – finely chopped (carrots, beans, peas)
- Canola or vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onions – 2 large, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes – 1 large, finely chopped
- Required salt
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Chilli powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
- Egg wash – 1 egg + 3 tablespoons milk, whisked
- For the Filling: This masala can be used as both the egg puff and the vegetable puff filling. Heat oil in a large wok/kadai or a wide saucepan. Saute onions for 2 minutes until caramelized.
- Add salt and ginger garlic paste, stir for a few minutes and add chopped tomatoes. Combine well, close and let the tomatoes cook till mushy without adding water. Keep stirring in regular intervals to avoid burning the mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the oil from the mixture starts oozing out.
- Now is the time to add in the spice powders (turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander and garam masala.) Combine well, close and let it cook for 2 minutes. Once done, Check for seasoning. Turn off the stove and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Reserve half of the mixture for the egg puffs and the other half for the vegetable puffs. Mix the boiled vegetables into the prepared onion tomato mixture and add required salt.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
- Fill the pastry sheets: Roll out the puff pastry sheets into a large rectangle and cut into equal squares. Place a 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the sheet and place the egg cut side down onto the mixture. Close the sides and wet the corners with a little water so they stick easily. Repeat the same for the rest of the egg puffs and place them on the baking tray.
- Place the prepared vegetable mixture into the pastry sheets and fold tehm into large triangles. Palace on the baking tray.
- To bake: Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden. It takes less time to bake in smaller ovens so bake only until it turns golden brown. Enjoy these piping hot puffs hot from the oven!