Focaccia breadscape is the new popular bread on social media. It’s a portrait of a landscape on a Focaccia (infused with olive oil & herbs) bread using colorful veggies. I had great fun making it and it looks pretty as a picture! The bread has come out perfectly and we have enough to last a whole week! It’s definitely the ultimate quarantine bread! Do try it and don’t forget to tag us!
(Prep time = 15-20 mins, rest time=1 1/2 hours, bake time = 15 mins)
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Dry Yeast – 2 teaspoons
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Warm water for the dough
- Olive oil – ¾ cup
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons
- Rosemary – 3 teaspoons
- Thyme – a pinch
- Cilantro – a few sprigs, chopped
- Garlic – 2 large cloves, minced
- Colorful veggies for landscape pattern- tomatoes, spring onions, olives, etc
- Sesame seeds.
- What makes Focaccia bread stand out from the rest is the use of olive oil which is infused with herbs and garlic. So first, gently heat a wide pan and pour in olive oil. Maintain the heat on low since olive oil has a low smoke point. Add in garlic, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Stir and let it all come together. After 3-4 minutes, turn off the stove and add in the cilantro and mix. Season with a pinch of salt. Set it aside and let all the flavors come together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, yeast and sugar until mixed well. Add in salt and 1/2 cup of the infused olive oil (with the herbs). Mix well and start kneading by gradually adding in some warm water until you get a smooth and firm dough. Continue kneading for 5-7 minutes. Drizzle oil over the dough and the bowl and let it rest in a warm place for 1 ½ hours. I usually store it in the oven with the light on. The dough will double in size.
- After 1 ½ hours, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Use 2 tablespoons of the infused olive oil to grease a rectangular baking pan. Transfer the dough to the oiled pan and press it down. Use your fingers to poke deep dents all over the surface of the dough. Drizzle two tablespoons of the infused oil, cover and let it rise for another 20 minutes.
- Prepare your colorful veggies for the landscape pattern. Once the dough puffs up slightly, arrange the veggies according to your desire. You can use colorful tomatoes for flowers, bugs and the sun, spring onions, cilantro and spinach for the grass. Olives come in handy too.
- Top it with some sesame seeds and drizzle a bit of the infused oil and bake for 15 minutes until golden on top. Let it cook completely before slicing.
- Use the leftover herb garlic infused olive oil as a dip for your freshly made focaccia bread! Voila!