Nothing can ever go wrong with noodles as it is one of the best comfort foods! if you ask us, we’d say that we love anything that makes us slurp! These noodles are inspired by my Mom’s chili, garlic noodles which she whips up as a quick dinner on Saturdays. I have added a twist to my Mom’s recipe and used Gochujang paste to spice things up!
Gochujang is a Korean chili paste made with Gocjugaru (Korean red pepper) and a variety of ingredients and is fermented for 8 long months to achieve that smokey, salty, lightly sweet Umami flavor! This is our new favorite and we literally add it to everything ! Haha.. This might not be available everywhere so you can use regular chili paste or a chili sauce along with the other ingredients.
I have used Tofu here for the protein (because….Lent) \_(- -)_/ but you can use paneer or chicken too. I have included the directions for cooking the tofu in the Air-fryer and it’s fairly simple.
Do try out this recipe and tag me on instagram or send me your results! I would love to see!
- 1 pack veg or egg hakka noodles
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 5- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -5 spring onion whites, sliced
- 1 large Carrot, julienne cut
- 5 green beans, julienne cut
- 1 red or green bell peppers, julienne cut
- ¼ cup Roasted peanuts for crunch
For the sauce :
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang paste or any chilli paste
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup water
For the Tofu/paneer :
- 200 grams Tofu/paneer/chicken, cubed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon , cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 tablespoon Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 3 stalks Chopped Spring onion greens for freshness
- Boil Noodles: Boil hakka noodles according to package instructions. Season the boiling water with salt & 1 tsp of oil. Drain the noodles and keep aside.
- Prepare the tofu (optional) : remove the tofu from the package and strain the water. Cut them in cubes and wipe them dry with a towel. Cover the tofu with the towel and place a heavy object over it to remove excess water. Let it sit for s minutes.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add in cornflour. Drop the dried tofu into the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer the tofu to the airfryer basket. Air Fry for 8-10 minutes @400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
- Make the sauce: Take a measuring cup or a mason jar and add in all the ingredients listed under the sauce and whisk until well combined.
- Stir-fry: Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large wok or a wide frying pan and saute minced garlic, spring onions, carrots, bell peppers and green beans. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. (cooking on high heat is recommended for this to give it a smokey flavor, but you need to act fast in order to avoid burning the vegetables.
- Pour in the prepared sauce into the wok and mix well. Add the air fried tofu and the roasted peanuts to this mixture and let the sauce coat the tofu and peanuts evenly.
- Add the cooked noodles and fry them well for the sauces to combine and come together. Check for seasoning and stir-fry for a minute before turning off the stove.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onion greens for freshness. Serve hot!