Sugar, spice, biriyani rice turns ‘One’ today & I thought we could celebrate with a recipe of the world’s best comfort food – Chocolate cake! And what if I told you that you could make it without all purpose flour(maida) & yet achieve the same texture of the moist yet fluffy chocolate cake? Would you try it? This cake is made with Almond flour (ground almonds) as it always comes to my rescue whenever I want to experiment with gluten-free baking.
My sister introduced Costco’s Almond flour to me & though I was skeptical at first, there’s no turning back now! Almond flour might be hard to come by in India which is why I suggest you try making this at home by soaking almonds in hot water for half hour (which helps remove the skin), drying them & then grinding them to a fine powder. I have used just 3/4 cup of Almond flour in this recipe so you don’t need to buy almonds in bulk.
Another secret ingredient here is ‘Tapioca flour’ which helps render a moist finish to the cake. They say if you don’t have tapioca flour, you can use cornflour as a substitute as it has a similar texture. Times like these call for experimenting with food so here’s your chance !
- Almond flour – ¾ cup
- Tapioca flour or Corn flour – ¼ cup
- Honey – ½ cup
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Cocoa powder – ½ cup
- Instant coffee powder – 1 tablespoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2
- Canola oil or vegetable oil – ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence – 2 teaspoons
For the chocolate ganache:
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate (you can use milk chocolate too)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper/butter paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, Mix together the almond flour, tapioca flour, brown sugar, coffee powder, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.Slowly add in the eggs, oil, honey and vanilla essence.
- Gently whisk together until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter onto the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan about 20 minutes before frosting.
- Ganache: Melt the chocolate with the milk in a microwave or using the double boiler method until smooth. Whisk well until creamy. Pour the ganache evenly on the cake until completely coated. Cut into slices & enjoy your gluten-free sweet treat!