Our summers are incomplete without a big bowl of delicious creamy ice cream. What makes it more special is when it’s homemade and has a rich flavor of the famous Jackfruit! Jackfruit is quite popular in southeast Asian countries and is an important part of a meal in Kerala and Tamil Nadu cuisines. It is mostly available as a canned or frozen snack internationally and yet we were lucky enough to get the whole fruit from Costco at a good price! It was too sweet and too good to be true so I wanted to make good use of it by incorporating it into my homemade ice cream. You can call this an instant recipe as this is eggless and requires only 4 ingredients. My niece & nephew, who enjoy the goodies I make for them told me that it tasted like store-bought ice cream! I was overjoyed to see them finish the whole container in seconds! We loved it and so will you. Try this out and tag us on Instagram @sugar_spice_biriyani_rice
- Heavy cream – 2 cups
- Whole milk – ½ cup + ¼ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup + 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- Jackfruit – 1 ½ cups, deseeded, roughly chopped
- There are a few things to keep in mind while making the perfect ice cream. These tips will bring you easy results. First of all you should store the empty mixing bowl, in which you will be whisking the cream, in the freezer for 30 minutes. This will help firm up the ice cream. Try using a bowl which is large and deep enough so that the cream
- Once the bowl is cooled, pour into it 2 cups of heavy cream, ½ cup milk, ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the mixture on high until well combined and then continue whisking it for 5-8 minutes straight until stiff peaks form. You will know it’s done once the cream thickens and you can see well-defined ripples as you beat them. This is the vanilla ice cream which will be the base for all your flavor combinations.
- Freeze the vanilla ice cream for about half an hour or until you make the jackfruit puree.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in the roughly chopped jackfruit, 2 tablespoons of sugar & ¼ cup milk. Using an immersion blender, blend the fruit into a chunky puree. You can also use a mixie or a blender to make the puree but try to pulse it only a few times as it should be chunky and not smooth.
- Remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer and add the jackfruit puree. Blend it again with the electric mixer for a couple of minutes until well incorporated. If you prefer it sweeter, you can add in extra sugar.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic cling wrap or lid and freeze for a minimum of 2-3 hours. It’s decadent and addictive and one cannot have enough scoops of this ice cream to satisfy their cravings! So Enjoy!