This lentil based chutney is our new favorite recipe & it is so versatile. It tastes great with everything right from being a perfect side dish for idlis to working as a great complement to steamed rice & veggies! Adding coriander to it elevates the flavor & it is sure going to be a staple at your homes! Try this out & let us know how you like it in the comments below!
- Toor dal – ¼ cup
- Grated coconut – 4 tablespoons
- Green chillies – 1 large
- Chopped Coriander leaves/cilantro – ¼ cup
- Black peppercorns – 4
- Asafoetida(hing) – a pinch
- Canola /vegetable oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a small non-stick pan and roast the toor dal. Roast the dal until golden brown and crisp. Turn off the stove, add water to the pan and let the dal soak in the warm water for about 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.. This is usually not done but I’d like to soak the toor dal, rinse and then grind it to avoid bloating & flatulence.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and add black peppercorns, grated coconut, 1 green chilli, coriander leaves, hing & salt.
- Grind the mixture along with a cup of water until smooth & well combined. The chutney must have a thick consistency & not be flowy. Serve with hot steamed rice, veggies & appalam. We had it with idlis & dosas too!