A delicious, beautiful, intricate and yet a simple meal for Meatless Monday. Ratatouille is a French dish (which you all know from the movie of the sam ename) and is basically a thick and coarse stew made with a bell pepper and a tomato base and topped with slices of colorful vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes. It is finally seasoned with a herb dressing and is baked to perfection! This meal is a feast for the eyes as the veggies are beautifully arranged to resemble a spiral and they emit a deep, rich color after they are baked. I love making this on a regular basis as the dish comes together beautifully with minimal effort. It looks complex and elaborate but is quite a simple delicacy. If you haven’t tried this recipe, I highly recommend you give it a shot! Make this for your Meatless Mondays and send me your results or tag me on instagram. If your account is private, send me a screenshot of your post! Happy Cooking!
- 1 large eggplant or 4-5 brinjals/baingan
- Tomatoes – 2 large
- Yellow squash – 1 large
- Zucchini – 1 large
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium Onion ,diced
- 1/2 a red onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 large dried red chillie
- 4 Garlic clove, minced
- 11/2 cup Capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dried Oregano (fresh leaves add more flavor)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sugar – 2 teaspoons
For the Dressing: (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons of dried or fresh basil
- 1/4 cup of Fresh cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried or fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- Preheat the oven for 380˚F (190˚C).
- Slice the eggplant, 2 tomatoes, squash, and zucchini into rounds and set aside.
- To make the sauce – boil 3 cups of water and blanch 2 tomatoes, red onion and whole red chillies for 7- 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let them cool down. Grind the tomatoes, onion & chillies with some salt until mushy & pulpy. Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chopped onions, garlic, and bell peppers until soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the ground tomato mixture.Stir until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add oregano & sugar. Stir well & remove from heat. Transfer the mixture to a 9*5 inch round glass casserole dish.
- Arrange the sliced veggies in an alternating pattern (for example – eggplant, tomato, squash, zucchini) on top of the sauce from the outer edge to the middle of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the seasoning: In a small bowl, mix together the basil, cilantro , garlic, dried thyme, oregano, salt, pepper & olive oil. Pour the seasoning over the vegetables.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Serve hot with some pasta or roasted chicken or fish.