#Breadmakingseries I’m sure our favorite kind of bread is Pizza or at least for me it is! 😉 I love breads that are stuffed or topped with deliciousness such as meat, cheese and a hearty marinara sauce! I have explained in detail on how to make the perfect pizza dough & hearty marinara sauce so you can try baking & relishing this piping hot pizza in the comfort of your own home & that folks will make you go “Mamma Mia’! I’ll be adding more bread recipes to this series after a while, so right now this is it! I Hope you enjoyed my bread making series. Do try out these recipes and share your results with us !
For the pizza dough:
- All purpose flour – 2 ½ cups
- Active Dry yeast or rapid rise yeast – 2 ½ teaspoons
- Warm water – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
For the Marinara sauce :
- Tomato puree – from 3 fresh tomatoes(blanched & pureed) or use canned tomato puree
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic – 4 cloves minced
- Dried Oregano or basil – 2 teaspoons
- Dried red chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 2 teaspoons
Other ingredients: (choice of toppings)
- Mozzarella/parmesan/pepper jack cheese – 1 cup, grated
- Bell peppers – green, red or orange – 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Red Onions – ½ cup thinly sliced
- Olives (optional) – ¼ cup ( sliced)
- Cooked chicken breast – seasoned & sliced
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pizza dough : To begin making the dough, whisk together dry yeast, sugar & and ¾ cup of warm water in a large bowl . cover and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast. You will know it is active if after 10 minutes, the yeast blooms and bubbles begin to form.
- To this mixture , add 2 ½ cups of flour & salt and knead well for 5 minutes until it forms a smooth dough. Transfer to a smooth board dusted with flour and knead the dough by stretching the dough and folding it in. This helps with the elasticity of the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a well oiled bowl, cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Once it doubles in size, punch out the gas and knead again for a minute.
- Marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a wide saucepan over low flame and once warm add in minced garlic. Saute until the garlic is roasted and is fragrant. Pour in the pureed tomatoes into the saucepan and stir until combined. Cook the sauce until it starts to bubble. Add in the rest of the ingredients (sugar, salt, oregano and dried chilli flakes) and whisk until combined. Adjust seasoning according to preferred level of spice & Sweetness. Let the sauce cook until it thickens for about 3-4 minutes before turning off the stove. Transfer to a bowl.
- Assemble : Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and grease a large pizza tray with olive oil or line the tray with parchment paper (butter paper). Place the dough on the tray and using your fingers stretch the dough and press them along the sides so the dough spreads evenly along the tray. The dough should be spread thin. Smoothen out the corners by rolling the dough inwards to form the crust for the pizza. Using a fork, mark incisions throughout the dough so the dough gets cooked through and the sauce gets absorbed resulting in a juicy pizza.
- Spread the marinara sauce uniformly over the dough until covered and add your favorite toppings to the pizza. Sprinkle cheese, bell peppers, onions & olive and finally finish it off with the drizzle of olive oil which gets the cheese bubbling.
- Bake : Slide the pizza tray into the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes and until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Slice when hot and serve with a sprinkle of parmesan or red chili flakes!