Happy New Year 2021 everyone! The best thing I love about cooking is that it establishes relationships and brings people together. Over the past couple of years I have been able to connect with people and build new friendships (which I never saw coming) through food! My fondest memories are of my mother cooking for our (quite large) family and all the guests that frequented our home. We always had a reason to celebrate something and my mom’s cooking was always the star of the show! But all these had become more of a dream in 2020. So Here’s to 2021 bringing us happy moments, love, good food and the comfort of family! To New beginnings!
On the first day of the New Year, I would like to share a new recipe – Roasted Rabbit & vegetables. You can find rabbit and duck meat in the market during the holiday season so grabbed the opportunity to try it out! I had fun making this and it tastes as amazing as it looks! The rabbit is first pan seared (or pan roasted) to achieve that crisp exterior and that golden brown color and then finally roasted in the oven. The combination of ingredients I’ve used here give a flavorful outcome as you get the heat from the green chilli paste and the tang from the lemons. The roasted and crisp veggies along with the sauce make this meal a wonderful experience for you! Try it out and send us your results and tag me on instagram @sugar_spice_biriyani_rice
- Rabbit – ½ kg, cut into large pieces
- Ground turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Chilli powder/ground cayenne – 1/ teaspoon
- Salt & pepper
For Pan searing:
- Canola /vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Green chilli paste – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Chicken stock – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4 large cloves, minced
- Juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Onions, carrots, potatoes, bell peppers – roughly chopped into large chunks.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Lemon juice – a drizzle
- Olive oil – a drizzle
- Wash and Marinate the rabbit in the ingredients listed under marination for about 20 minutes. Make slight incisions on the meat for better absorption.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (10 degrees C). lightly grease a baking tray with olive oil and place the chopped vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and gently stir to combine. Keep aside.
- In a large, wide pan for roasting, heat 2 tbsps of oil on medium flame and once hot, place the rabbit pieces and sear them on both sides (5 minutes on each side) until well browned.
- Add in the green chilli paste to the pan and saute well. Now gently pour in the chicken stock/broth and give good whisks using a wooden spatula.
- Add in the minced garlic & the lemon juice to the pan, check for seasoning & adjust the salt. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce comes together. Turn off the stove.
- Transfer the seared rabbit onto the baking tray and pour half of the sauce over the rabbit. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, flipping the meat and stirring the veggies halfway through. Every oven varies so check the rabbit frequently so that it doesn’t dry out.
- Once well done, serve hot with the roasted veggies and drizzle the leftover sauce over it. Enjoy!