(Prep time + cook time) = 1 hour
I wanted to make something savory for Easter and that’s when I came up with the Eggs on a nest idea. Scotch egg is a famous English delicacy where an egg is enclosed in minced sausage meat. The yolk is usually runny but I prefer hard boiled eggs. Raw meat is used to enclose the eggs and it gets cooked when deep fried but I like it cooked so I have cooked them half-way through and then fried it. I’m sure you’ll love this recipe! Try it out and comment below!
Ingredients: (makes 4 large scotch eggs)
- Minced chicken/red meat – 1 kg
- Hard boiled eggs – 4
- Oil – 1 ½ tablespoons + 1 cup for sauteing & frying
- Onions – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cayenne pepper/Red chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
- Smoked paprika/kashmiri red chilli powder+cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic salt – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
For the triple coating:
- 1 egg + ⅓ cup milk
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Breadcrumbs or crushed nachos/cornflakes – 1 cup
- Salt & & pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons
- Garlic salt – 2 teaspoons
Zucchini Aglio e olio pasta:
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Red chilli flakes – 2 teaspoons
- Chopped parsley or cilantro – a handful
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Zucchini spirals (I used frozen) – 2 packets
- Wash the minced meat and season it with salt, turmeric & pepper.
- In a wide pan, heat 1 ½ tbsp of oil and saute fennel seeds, onions until golden. Add ginger garlic paste & saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the minced meat and saute until it changes color. Add in spices – garlic salt, cayenne/chilli powder, paprika/kashmiri chilli powder and cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture becomes dry. Don’t add any water as the meat releases enough water. Turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Blend the minced meat until smooth and holds shape when pressed. Mix in chopped cilantro. Divide the mixture into 4 equal balls and freeze for 5 minutes.
- Triple coating: In a wide bowl, beat 1 egg with ⅓ cup of milk until combined. Add salt & pepper to taste, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp garlic salt. Keep aside
- Transfer breadcrumbs to a large plate and add salt, pepper, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp garlic salt and mix until combined. Keep aside
- Transfer the rice flour to a separate plate too.
- Roll out the hard boiled eggs onto the rice flour and keep them ready. Flatten the ball of minced meat on the palm of your hand and lay the egg in the center and wrap the minced meat around the egg until sealed.
- Dip the scotch eggs into the prepared egg+milk mixture and then roll them onto the breadcrumbs. Repeat this step again. You need to double coat them with egg+milk and then the breadcrumbs for a firm coating.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a saucepan and fry the eggs, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Transfer eggs onto a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on low heat and saute minced garlic for a minute. Add in red chilli flakes and stir in the zucchini spiral. Stir fry the noodles on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and season with salt. Add in grated parmesan cheese and chopped cilantro. Toss until combined.
- Transfer the zucchini pasta onto a plate and top it off the scotch eggs! Enjoy your Easter Dinner!