- 2 cups ivy gourd/tindora/kovakkai
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Onions – ½ (medium) thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- chopped cilantro (handful)
- Rinse the ivy gourds in water and thinly slice the ends and discard them. Slice the ivy gourds lengthwise in four parts.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wide pan and add cumin seeds & urad dal and saute till they splutter.
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute till they turn golden brown and then add the sliced gourd. Saute till they’re half done. Now add salt & the spices (turmeric, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, amchur powder & asafoetida)
- Mix until well combined and continue to cook them on a low flame with a lid on till the gourds turn golden, and are cooked through.
- Switch off the flame & garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with roti or rice.