Hi y’all, the weekend is here and it’s time to enjoy and chill a little. I have a delicious Indian snack recipe for you, that will be a hit among everyone in the house. This spinach pakoda is simple to make and it stays crispy for longer. It’s a great option for an evening snack when had with a hot cup of coffee or chai or you can eat it as a side dish for lunch too! A healthy snack idea for kids as it’s an interesting way to include spinach. To make it healthier, you can use grapeseed oil or avocado oil or even gingelly oil (nallennai) for frying. Try out my super easy, delicious snack recipe and tag me on instagram or send me your results!
- Baby Spinach – 4 cups, chopped
- Onions – ½ cup , thinly sliced
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – 2 tablespoons
- Gram flour (chickpea flour) – ½ cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- Oil for frying
- To begin making this simple pakoda, wash the spinach and dab with a towel to remove water. Or let it air dry. Chop them and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the oil) and mix well without adding any water. If the mixture is dry, Let it sit for 5 minutes. The moisture from the spinach and onions will help bind them together. You can add extra portions of gram flour and rice flour. Always be mindful of the 2:1 proportion of gram flour to rice flour.
- Meanwhile , heat enough in a small kadai. Lightly knead the mixture again(add a few drops of water only if necessary)
- Once the oil is hot, Gently drop small portions of the mixture into it by scattering them evenly. Don’t overcrowd them and Don’t form them into balls (it will make them soft on the inside)
- Fry over medium flame until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate or a bowl lined with a paper napkin. Serve hot with coffee or tea! It maintains its crispness for longer. Great option for an evening snack or as a side for lunch.