Rainy weather always calls for food that is warm , soothing and has a bit of heat. This comfort in a bowl checks off all the right boxes. Tangy and creamy with a lovely hint of roasted bell peppers and a peppery aftertaste, tomato soups are always for the win! Try out my super super easy recipe , that makes for an ideal breakfast meal or dinner with a lovely spread of grilled cheese and garlic bread.
- Tomatoes – 4 medium, chopped
- Orange bell peppers (or use red) – ½ , large chopped
- Celery – ½ cup , chopped (replace with spring onions if unavailable)
- Garlic – 4 large cloves, divided
- Peppercorns – 2 teaspoons
- Dried oregano – 2 tablespoons, divided
- Dried basil – 2 teaspoon, divided
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Full fat Milk – ½ cup
- Parmesan cheese – 2 tablespoons
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Serve with garlic bread or grilled cheese
- Lightly heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan and saute celery and 2 cloves garlic over medium flame. Cover and let it cook for 2 minutes until the celery is half cooked.
- Add in the chopped bell peppers and the peppercorns and stir fry for a minute until roasted well. (For that extra smokey , flavor drizzle oil over the bell peppers and roast them in the oven or the airfryer )
- Now incorporate the tomatoes into the mixture. Saute and let it cook covered for a few minutes until the tomatoes start turning mushy. Season with salt, 1 tablespoon of oregano and 1 teaspoon of dried basil. Turn off the stove and let it cool completely before blending.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the grilled cheese toast or the garlic bread to serve with.
- Once cooled, Blend the mixture by adding ¾ cup of water and puree until smooth with no lumps.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the saucepan and add 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Strain the pureed tomato mixture, stirring the sieve with a spoon to extract enough soup. Add extra water if necessary and pour into the saucepan.
- Stir well and pour in the milk. Season with dried oregano and basil and parmesan cheese. Combine well and let it simmer for 30 seconds before turning off the stove. Serve piping hot with fresh bread! Enjoy a bowl of this refreshing soup on a cold evening.