Udupi Sambar masala – udupi cuisine is popular in South India & is known for its freshly made spice mix that is great in aroma & taste. Apart from my mom’s homemade masala, this is my favorite spice blend! I love trying different versions of the humble sambar and this is a must-try! It’s spicy and slightly sweet from the coconut and adding just 2 tablespoons of this aromatic spice blend changes your whole perception of sambar and will get you addicted to it (like me). So try this out and comment below or tag us on instagram with your versions of it!
- Dried red chillies – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – 3 teaspoons
- Urad dal – 2 teaspoons
- Chana dal – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida(hing) – a pinch
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Heat a wide non-stick pan and dry roast all the spices (with no oil) until they turn fragrant and golden brown. Let it cool.
- In a mixie grinder, grind all the ingredients without adding water until it forms a smooth powder.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for later use.
- Before use, blend 3 tablespoons of this masala with 1/4 cup water until a smooth paste. Add this masala paste to the dal along with a pinch of turmeric, required salt and 2 large tablespoons of jaggery to achieve that authentic udupi style sambar. The aroma and taste is mesmerizing…Enjoy!