Love burgers and sandwiches but hate the calories? Well, Here’s an easy vegan burger/sandwich recipe that’s so delicious that you won’t miss the meat! The vegan patty here is made from scratch and delivers the same texture and taste as that of meat. It’s made with the goodness of lentils, seeds and vegetables and is protein packed – A much much healthier alternative to sloppy meaty burgers. Try out my recipe and make your meals healthier!
Vegan burger patty:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 can black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos , deseeded and minced
- 4-5 large mushrooms, finely chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder/ cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ⅔ cup breadcrumbs
- Burger buns or artisan sandwich bread
- A few sliced red onion
- Vegan sliced cheese (optional) or regular
- A handful of Microgreens
- First off, cook the quinoa in 2 cups of water in a rice cooker or a pressure cooker. Add 1 cube of vegetable bouillon to the water as it cooks. Once done, turn off the cooker and keep aside.
- In a medium sized pan/skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add in the chopped vegetables – onions, carrots, jalapenos, mushrooms and garlic. Saute on medium heat for a few minutes and cook covered for 5 minutes until the veggies turn soft. Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine. Let it cook for a couple of minutes before turning off the stove. Let it cool.
- Pour the canned beans into a sieve and rinse and drain the liquid. Add the beans to a mixing bowl and mash using a fork or using your hands.
- Add in the cooked veggies along with the cooked quinoa and combine well. Check for seasoning.
- To the mixture, add your breadcrumbs and combine once again until it forms a tight mixture.
- Take a handful of the mixture and shape into round balls and flatten it gently to form patties. Place on a tray. Repeat the steps for the rest of the mixture.
- Refrigerate the patties for 30 minutes or place them in a freezer for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or a pan and pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Lightly fry the patties on both sides for a couple of minutes until they are evenly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- To Assemble: Toast burger buns or sandwich bread and place the lettuce, then the patty, top with cheese, onions and microgreens on one bottom half of the bun/bread. Place the top half of the bun and serve! You can add your favorite dressing too.